Sunday, October 01, 2006

FIRST GLIMPSE AT ABSOLUTE COMPETENCE

Many a time, I’d been asked about my role model. I never found any satisfactory answer to give. Not that I was so completely conceited that I was unable to look up to another. It was just that I had never found any person I could look up to with complete assurance of underlying competence. The answer I always gave was that there was no single person I held as my role model, but that I admired and sought to achieve certain qualities that I saw in certain individuals.

All these qualities were always kin of competence. The extensive knowledge and lucid mind of my father; the intrinsic musical capabilities of my grandmother and later, my brother; the uncompromising and highly successful values of my mother; the undying interest in the English language and active compilation of words and music by my grandfather are some of the attributes I admired. The model I had in each one of them and many others helped me to grow and understand myself better. But since I had not found a single personage who completely satisfied my ideals, I found my answer very suitable and truth-laden. It is something I stick to till date.

The word “role model” must not be taken in its literal sense. A role model is not someone you imitate blindly, nor someone whose exact role you play too. There is no such thing as absolute emulation or imitation of anybody in this world. A role model is solely a person who is capable of initiating and making you aware of your own capabilities. So is my definition of one. The person’s very way of leading his/her life is an eye-opener to you. It shows you the way you would like to lead your life. In this sense, one may have a positive or a negative role model; an illustration of a desirable way of living or an undesirable one.

It has always been my desire to attain the highest level of proficiency and perfection in any job that I do. It has also been one to find that job which I’d love and that which I’d be willing to do wholeheartedly. It was indeed something of a miracle when I realized that the one person I’d forever be grateful to and look up to, was in my life. She had been with me for a year before I realized the full value of her presence. She was the embodiment of utter competence. She was everything I’d ever wanted to be, in terms of professionalism, dedication and capability. She showed me everyday, without she herself being aware, the path I’d have to take in life, the steps I needed to take to get where I wanted to; and where she already was. She was my biology teacher. She became quite an important part of my list of role models, positive of course. She occupied one of the primary positions. Probably because every part of her was most completely faithful to her work or, at least, that was all I witnessed and took to be true. Her best was only what she revealed and all that I saw.

She, being my teacher, and so definitely professional, I got to see very little of her personal life. But, that did not at all matter. Her whole personality was candid and complete in her profession itself. She did not say anything about herself, nor expected us to reveal anything about our lives. But there remained a high level of understanding and
excellent rapport between us. She was acutely well-versed in her subject and could answer just about any question, however far from the topic in concern. She was surpassingly sure of the concept she dealt with and put it across just as succinctly and intelligibly. She was the best teacher I had ever had. The level of her dedication and commitment to her duty and profession was something I had never witnessed first-handedly anywhere. I had complete faith in her competence, and she has never let me down till date. And my own competence and professionalism increases every minute. Whenever I feel bogged down, all I have to do is think of her and my faith in my purpose and my capabilities come sailing back to me.

Well, role models, after all, are people who one chooses to help build one’s personality better and make one’s own principles more defined. Hence, at the end of the day, one should be able to look back and say, “Yes. I have taken one step forward today towards my purpose.” The assistance from the side of the persons concerned (role models) are unlimited as they do not have anything active to do for one’s benefit. The amount of progress one makes, ultimately, depends solely on one, the intensity of one’s desire to advance and the effort one puts in.
BY BHARGAVI

7 Comments:

Blogger fuse me said...

I agree with your idea of role model. I too think that role-models are for triggering an aspect of your life. So I guess you can have different role models for different aspects of your life.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one missed the genuineness of the first and last articles

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya i totally agree...different people due to their diff traits become our role models...

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa..this article rox!!! gal..ur on fire..well..t gave me 2nd thots abt choosin my own role models too..thnx thnx.. a really beautiful article, dear..wow *sniff* simply amazing..nd true 2 every word..rock on!!:-)

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole concept of role model cliches a person,and the cliche could be welcome.
The perfect blende of a certain amount of uniqueness with a few traits adopted from people whom we look up to could make a world of a person
well written!:)

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat language man....wat flow...ur sumthng else....i feel illliter8 now....totally agree wid ur choice....flawless....saw pramila thru ur eyes and wuz awestruck...BRILLLIANT...

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written n wonderful flow of thoughts, however just as a thought, try to simplify language and make it more effective

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home